non latin file names?

I'm running current network install on NT4, sp6. The system is
configured for default (read: us english) locale. There are two
filesystems involved: /orig is NTFS (actually it's a symlink
to /cygdrive/f/yada/yada/yada...) /dest is a samba mounted
e2 partition shared out from RH6.2 (with Samba 2.0.6-9) (again
it's really /cygdrive/m/more/boring/dirs....).

Within /orig there is a file named "Fadó.txt" (that's F A D 0x0243 dot
text) windows has NO PROBLEMS with this filename. Cygwin sometimes
can't cope with it, if I do an ls in the directory it becomes the
substitution char on screen, but if I pipe the output it is correctly
rendered. Similarly windows cmd.exe with the default codepage of 437
renders the right glyph.

I did a `cp -R /orig /dest`. After doing so, the results are the
same for the file in /dest... cygwin shows it as ? on the console,
ó in pipes, and windows always shows ó... so the full 8 bits of the
character name are being retained.

So far, while I find the substitution glyph annoying there really
isn't anything functionally wrong. Infact, cygwin is ahead of linux
in that on the console the filename shows up as the completely wrong
glyph. But this is because I don't have the foggiest clue how to get
locale configured under Linux. But I don't care that it can't be
displayed there, as long as all eight bits are preserved (they are).

Here's the problem.

If I create a md5 checksum for this file on Linux and then try to
verify the file on cygwin it fails because it can't open the file?

The files are generated by:

find ! -type d -exec md5sum -b {} > /tmp/local.checksums \;

then the local.checksum files are traded between the two
machines and are verified by:

md5sum -c /tmp/remote.checksums | grep -v OK

which results in either "No such file or directory" or
"FAILED open or read" (seemingly random which it is, sometimes
BOTH)

Anyone got a clue? is this supposed to work? Am I in uncharted
territory?

p.s. (it isn't just this one character, I've got a whole tree of
directories and files with Gaelic names... at least a few hundred.)