RE: cygwin problem...

This sort of works for me using 20001017 snapshot under Win2k and CYGWIN=tty.
It is better under bash - I can use cursor keys in menus and it does not hang.
Under zsh display is really screwed up, cursor keys do not work in menu and
edit.com hangs every second time.

In general, I would be very surprised if it worked. edit.com is full-screen
console application, and cygwin terminal is not console.

The same is true for vim, of course.

Why do not you simply use vim that comes with cygwin?

-andrej