Re: Does Cygwin's `-mno-cygwin' need Mingw?

> 	- Is there much difference between the two?

There should be no difference between the resulting executables,
provided someone merges the two runtimes again.

The big difference is that "cygwin" is a collection of GNU programs
that use the cygwin runtime, while "mingw" is a collection of GNU
programs that use the MS runtime.

> 	- Is there an official name for the `-mno-cygwin' option of Cygwin?
> 	  "The -mno-cygwin switch of the Cygwin product" is a bit wordy.
> 	  (Perhaps it should be called "Clayton's Cygwin" ;-)

There is never a short name for a cross compiler

> 	- Cygwin and "Cygwin -mno-cygwin" are sufficiently different that
> 	  I think it would make sense for them to have different autoconf
> 	  canonical system names -- after all, Mingw has a different name,
> 	  and "Cygwin -mno-cygwin" is closer to Mingw than to Cygwin.
> 	  Currently autoconf seems to configure as "i*86-pc-cygwin",
> 	  even if you invoke configure as "CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' ./configure".
> 	  Should it configure report the host system type as "i*86-pc-mingw"
> 	  in that situation?  Or should we invent a new name for that?

Cygwin will always identify itself as a cygwin runtime.  If you build
under mingw, then it should have a "uname" that identifies itself as
mingw.  If you want to build with -mno-cygwin, you basically are
building a cross compiler, and need to follow the cross compiler
instructions (which are more involved than "-mno-cygwin" would have
you believe).