Re: RFC: linux compatibility

>One of the ongoing discussions about cygwin is which "unix" to be
>compatible with.  There are a number of specifications (ansi, posix,
>x/open etc) and reference platforms (solaris, linux, etc) to choose
>from.
>
>Given that Cygnus (official sponsors of Cygwin) has recently been
>acquired by Red Hat (leading Linux company), I would like to propose
>that the target compatibility reference be Linux.  Note I didn't say
>"Red Hat Linux" although that's the only Linux *I* have ;-)
[snip]
>At this point I'd like to ask for feedback about this idea.  Please
>don't turn it into a holy war - facts are good, guesses are bad.

Isn't one of the goals of POSIX to be compatible across various
unices?  Perhaps I have an idealized view, but I'd think POSIX
would be the standard to which cygwin should adhere.

Of course, if adhering to the POSIX standard would mean that cygwin
wouldn't be useful enough to solve real-world problems, then by all
means we need another and Linux is a good one.

One of the frustrations that I have to deal with on a daily basis is
that Windows NT isn't fully POSIX-compliant; cygwin's POSIX interface
to the serial ports is *very* useful in that regard.

-Brian Kasper
 kasper@aero.org