Re: RFC: linux compatibility

As a user, it seems to me that this should be how the priorities work out:

1.  POSIX compliant, if for no other reason than it's the right thing to do.
2.  "GNU compliant", by which I mean essentially that anything that links
and runs with glibc should work with Cygwin.
3.  "Other-Unii compatible", meaning that aything that can be added to the
Cygwin mix that doesn't violate the above and yet allows it to be more
compatible with other distributions should be added.

I don't see "which Unix do we emulate?" as a sensible question.  Cygwin is
intended to be 'Unix on Windows', not 'Linux on Windows' or 'BSD on Windows'
or 'Solaris on Windows'.

Isn't it?

Gary R. Van Sickle (tiberius@braemarinc.com)
Braemar Inc.