Re: BUG: Invalid assumption about file paths beginning with '\'

--- dave.banham@tde.alstom.com wrote:

> Earnie,
> I would have thought that the whole point of the CygWin project was to
> provide
> UNIX tools on the PC Windows platform so that they feel like Windows tools
> and
> not like UNIX tools. In this respect the file system should work as expected
> for
> the platform on which the tool is used. The fact that CygWin is translating
> between the Windows file system and a UNIX/POSIX file system (to make the
> porting of UNIX tools to windows easier) is irrelevant since it is an
> internal
> (and abstracted) detail.

Well, as Chris corrected, the current 1.1.4 release does allow the \ reference
to refer to the root of the current device.  I just tested this and it does
indeed work this way.

> An Example:
> If my working drive is m: and the current working folder is \projects (say)
> then
> when I execute:
> gwak -f \myscripts\script.awk in-file.txt
> I would expect gawk to read script.awk from m:\myscripts and in-file.txt from
> m:\projects. However, this results in a file not found for scripts.awk. If
> the
> command is modified to include the drive letter:
> gwak -f m:\myscripts\script.awk in-file.txt
> Then it works, which shows that CygWin correctly interpreted in-file.txt as
> being in the current working directory on the current drive.
>
> As I said in my original posting, I cannot explicitly state the drive letter
> on
> the command line as it is all part of a makefile which must be executable on
> any
> drive (since it is a network mapping).

The Cygwin way of doing this would be to:
  mkdir /myscripts
  mount -b m:/myscripts /myscripts
Now you can:
  gawk -f /myscripts/script.awk in-file.txt

Let me suggest that in order to make your life easier that you use Cygwin
POSIXly.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd