Re: Five newbie questions

At 05:45 PM 10/7/2000, Neil Zanella wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am new to Win2K and CygWin (although not to Unix).
>I just installed CygWin 1.1.4 on Windows 2000.
>I have five questions.
>
>(i)
>Why do I get the following error when trying to compile a simple
>ANSI C "Hello World" program?
>
>$ gcc hello.c
>gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory$

Install binutils.

>(ii) I have the Borland 5.5 free compiler installed as well as the LCC
>free compiler.

OK, don't mix-and-match!;-)

>(iii) What flags should I use to compile a Win32 source file?

That's a loaded question.  It really depends on what you want to get as a
result and what the file needs.

>(iv) A bit off topic: What is nmake? Do I need it or can I use plain make?

nmake is MS's version of make.  For GCC, use make.

>(v) A friend of mine wants to install CygWin but has spaces in the Windows
>     Logon user name (Win2K). Is this still a problem with CygWin 1.1.4 and
>     is there a sys admin tool in Win2K that can be used to change the logon
>     name to one without spaces?

DJ just made a change to the installer that's supposed to handle this.
Still, I'd recommend changing the login name to not contain spaces.  It
will be less headaches overall.  I expect other applications using the
login name will be confused by spaces as well...