compiling python under cygwin

Hello all:
	I want to compile the python interpreter on Windows NT 4, using the
gcc compiler under cygwin.  I have installed cygwin and have obtained the
source code to python.  The python interpreter, like most Windows software
is currently available compiled using Microsoft Visual C++.  Makefiles for
various platforms are available, but not for gcc.  I am experienced in C,
C++, Unix, make, and various other things, since I have been a programmer
for a long time.  I work on linux at home, but I am forced to use Windows at
work when on the PC.  Since I have converted many programs from one platform
to another, I am aware there may be some difficulties in my proposed
project, but I would rather face them than obtain Visual C++.  I consider it
desirable for python to be compiled on a free compiler for the Windows
platform.
	Can anyone give me any hints to help me get going?  For instance,
which existing makefile would be closest to working under cygwin?  Or am I
stuck with figuring this out for myself or starting from scratch?  Any help
or suggestions would be appreciated.

	Nick Lockwood