Re: bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory. TMP variable is being unset

At 12:36 PM 9/28/2000, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:
>1.)
>Seems like I should be able to do the following simple shell scripting:
>

>I'm in a Cygwin 1.1.4 window at my C: prompt.
>
>I create a file, called myscript,  with the 1 line of:
>
>      echo "doggie"
>

>I cannot execute this successfully:
>
>$ ./myscript
>bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.
>

>I can execute myscript succesfully if I add at the top of the
>myscript the line of:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>

>and I can also execute myscript succesfully if I, preface the command with /bin/sh:
>
>$ /bin/sh myscript
>

>I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
>without using any work arounds.
>
>This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.

Your scripts aren't "portable", although that's your choice!;-)  If you
are running on NT-based systems with NTFS file systems, you can set "ntsec"
in your CYGWIN environment variable and then use "chmod +x <file>" (please
read the documentation on how ntsec works though).  Alternatively, you can
use "ntea" on NT-based systems on either NTFS or FAT drives, as long as you
don't mind a large "EA DATA. SF" file in the root of all the FAT drives!;-)
If you use "ntea", you can use chmod as well.  Otherwise, you need to let
Cywgin know this is a script by adding the #!/bin/sh line or invoking it
with the shell.  Those are your current options.

>2.)
>I have the environment variable "TMP" defined as both a SYSTEM and USER environment
>variable, but when I open up a Cygwin window it does not have this set.
>It has all the other ones set, why did it unset this?

Never seen this so I can't help you there...