Re: Cygwin and CR/LF

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 01:54:59PM +0100, Emmanuel Blot wrote:
>> If filelist is on a directory mounted as -b, then this takes precedence.
>Everything is mounted by default, I've changed nothing:
>
>D: is my data drive, FAT32 ----> //D for cygwin
>E: is my main Win2k drive, NTFS  ---> //E for cygwin
>E:\cygwin is the top dir of cygwin ---> /  for cygwin
>
>What are the default mount settings for those drives ?

The mount command shows you what directories are mounted as what.

>> CYGWIN=binmode only works when you are not a child of a bash shell.
>
>Not sure to understand that.
>I have put
>set CYGWIN=binmode
>in the cygwin.bat file that launch the bash script

The CYGWIN=binmode setting has no effect on ">" redirection
under the bash or ash shell (or any shell for that matter).

It will only effect ">" redirection when used directly from the
windows command shell, e.g.

c:\>ls > foo

The reason for this is that when you use "> foo" in bash or ash,
cygwin resolves foo to the current directory and can determine if the
directory is mounted binmode (-b) or not.

When you use redirection outside of the cygwin environment, the only thing
that cygwin knows about its standard output is that it is a disk file.  It
has no idea where the file 'foo' lives.

>Where it would work, where it would not work ?

Hopefully that explains it.  If it doesn't then please send email
to the cygwin list, not to me personally.

cgf