Re: Where is the core file?

Hi!

Thursday, 21 September, 2000 "Dehmel, Rüdiger" de@lmnet.de wrote:

DR> I get the mesage: .... core dumped ....

DR> but there is no core file, only a ...exe.stackdump

DR> How to find the bug with gdb?

you have several possibilities:

1.  just run your program under gdb -- "gdb bad-program.exe". when you
program  crashes,  gdb  will  stop  it  an  show  you  the place where
exception occurred.
2.  add  "error_start=c:\path\to\gdb\gdb.exe"  to  CYGWIN  environment
variable.  this  turns on the jit-debug  facility  in cygwin. when you
program  encounter    exception,   cygwin  will  automatically  invoke
gdb  and instructs it to attach to crashed process.
3.  build  "dumper"  utility.  it's  in current cvs sources of cygwin.
then, if you add "error_start=c:\path\to\dumper\utility\dumper.exe" to
CYGWIN   env.   variable,   dumper.exe   will  be  started  in case of
exception,  and  it'll create bad-brogram.exe.core. This core file can
be  analyzed with "gdb --core=bad-brogram.exe.core". NOTE: you'll need
latest sources of gdb, bfd, and cygwin from sourceware cvs to do this.