permissions and login under NT 4.0

Hi,

I have been unable to use the login program from cygwin. Regardless of
whether I enter my NT password or my bash password created with passwd, it
doesn't let me login and I have to terminate the bash window.

I have also been unable to affect the file permissions in, for example the
/etc/passwd file (but it could be any file). When I use chmod, the
permissions are not taking effect as seen by ls -l [file].

I have been unsuccessful in adding entries to passwd and group. I read the
paper on ntsec permissions and I went so far as to download ntsec. So far,
that hasn't been much help, but I admit I don't know much about it. I tried
IGRANT to myself all privileges for files and directories but my chmod
permissions still weren't showing up in ls -l.

Needless to say, I have not been able to use the su program. Even when I
added a root to passwd I must have got it wrong because it didn't work.
Chown and chgrp are also not working.

I found programs called getfacl and setfacl and tried those out. getfacl
showed me file permissions, but I didn't know how to use setfacl. Several
attempts were unsuccessful.

Any help you have in this would be appreciated.

By the way, where is all the initialization done? I am used to linux with
its plethora of rc files and inittab and the like.

For the record, I added to my NT system environment the string CYGWIN=ntsec
and ntsec=on but that didn't seem to help.

Can anyone help me out with all this?

Thanks,

Bryan Zimmer
bzimmer@arcstp.org