Re: mount points and inetd

At 19:14 9/17/00 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>Inetd *needs a mount table* - just as with Unix systems.

umm... yeah, duh. :) the issue is "why the frick is it not
using the one I have set up." and I think we've answered
that.

>In fact cygwin is more flexible that some Unices. I suggest that your core

very true. I personally love being able to mount /foo, then /foo/bar,
then umount /foo and still be able to access /foo/bar. That and being
able to move and remount / is one of the best parts of piggy backing
ontop of the native win32 file system.

>(/, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /etc) mounts be system and then the rest can be user
>or system at your choice.

except that if I'm running inetd automatically they have to be
system, or the specific user that inetd runs under. (who is that?
system?). Otherwise my user mounts would never be seen. Similarly
if I had two users "bob" and "joan" and they both had different
things mounted in their user profile, then it would be a question
of who loaded the mount table first; this would cause havoc if
you tried to use a box as a compute server.

>DJ - perhaps setup should default to 'install for all' ? (If it doesn't
>already)

or perhaps "install for all" and "install for me" need better explanations.
I take it from your statement that had I chosen install for all that there
would have been some difference... like the core mounts being system.
I assume then that the "all" means all users on the local machine, as
opposed to a network server install (which is what I took it to mean.)
which still leaves open the question of how several differnet users
could have their own user mode mounts and not get in each others way...
unless that "install for all" mode results in something hackish, like a
separate copy of cygwin1.dll in memory for each user (or at least each
has their own mount table). This brings me back to the question what
good are user mode mounts? What are they used for?