gawk: system() or piping does not work due to no /bin/sh

Hello,

I encountered this problem: Executing other programs from within gawk did
not seem to work, no matter whether you tried it through a pipe or with
system(). Examples:

gawk 'BEGIN{system("echo foobar")}'
gawk 'BEGIN{while(("echo foobar"|getline l) >= 1) print l}'

It turns out this is because /bin/sh doesn't exist, an "ln -s bash.exe sh"
in /bin solved the problem.

I installed using setup.exe with downloaded tarballs already present in the
local directory. It should be noted that setup crashed towards the end the
first time I ran it (IIRC, before it tried to create the menu entries), but
it didn't crash on subsequent runs. Sorry for not being able to give more
detailed information about the crash.

This happened with an up-to-date Cygwin which I downloaded only yesterday
(14 Sep 2000).

Cheers,

  Richard

--