Re: Setup versioning

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:17:31PM -0700, Xavier wrote:
>>>Hmmm...  my browser asks me if I want to run it directly, which is what
>>>I usually do.
>>I'm also paranoid.  Unless I'm connecting to you via a secure route, I
>>figure my AV software ought to have a go at your ".exe" before I run
>What about an extra file on the server containing the version number?
>Setup could check to see whether it's up to date or not and tell the
>user to download the newer version if not.  It looks like setup will
>contact the cygnus server to get the mirror list anyway so maybe the
>check could be done just before that step.
>The drawback is that this requires some updates to the web server and a
>predefined location so it's not just a matter of sending a patch.  And
>of course this may not be a good idea or there may be some better way
>of doing something similar, I didn't spend too much time thinking about

If it bothers you that you may not be running the latest version of
setup.exe, then download it.  The current setup.exe will take about 55
seconds to download on a 28K connection.

That's a small price to pay for the obvious peace of mind that this will
bring to everyone.

I mean what if DJ forgets to update the proposed setup version file on
the web site?  You could be running the wrong version! It might give you
a syntax error or an incomprehensible dialog box or something!

Nobody wants that.  Just be safe.  Download setup.exe every time.

Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to