Re: chmod does not work as expected

Mike,

I'm not an authority, but I'll give a guess / hunch. I'm only giving
non-authoritative information because it's a weekend (and a 3-day one
in the U.S.) and I thought that would be better than waiting for
something more authoritative.

I think the issue here is that Cygwin does not maintain parallel data
structures, and hence cannot truly record modes that are not native
to the file system you're using. If that file systems is a FAT file
system, then I believe the "permissions" are simple read-only /
read-write. I know NTFS has a sophisticated permissions scheme with
owners, users and groups and perhaps on an NTFS volume Cygwin will
implement read / write for owners, group and others (there's still no
execute bit--that one is synthesized by Cygwin based on the file name
extension or the presence of a #!interpreterName line at the very
beginning of the file).

I'm pretty sure this is a reasonable approximation of the issue
you're seeing. I'm even more sure that someone will correct me and /
or complete this picture shortly...

Randall Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA