Re: Instructions for submitting patches

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > gzipped and uuencoded, then pasted into the email is not good?
>
> No, unless your mailer will corrupt them otherwise.
>
> If you encode or attach them, instead of just pasting them, then I
> can't just hit (R)eply to comment on them, and I can't read them in my
> mailer - I have to save them to disk first, then bring them up in a
> separate editor, then paste them back into the mailer to comment on
> them.
>
> If your "file attach" function attaches them as plain 8-bit unencoded
> text (not base64 or quoted-printable), that's acceptable, because MIME
> basically leaves it as unchanged text.  It's harder to read when
> mimeified, but I can still actually read it in the mailer.

Oh, ok.  Most other mailing lists specify gz.uue, so I just assummed...I
mean, a .gz.uue message is virtually guaranteed to arrive in exactly the
same form as it was transmitted -- no tab->space stuff, no line
wrapping, quoted-printable-munging, etc.

That's the upside. The downside is just as you say: you can't 'reply' or
comment on parts of the patch, without lots of gymnastics.

> Perhaps you have some strange belief that I apply patches without
> actually *reading* them first?  ;-)

No, of course not. I just thought you did it the hard way.

--Chuck