Instructions for submitting patches

[subject changed to make this easier to find in the future]

> Now as soon as I can figure out how to recompile my change,

$ make

Ok, it's not always that easy.  If you've already checked out the
"winsup" module from cvs and built it, typing "make" in the
winsup/cinstall directory rebuilds just setup.  Otherwise, run "make"
in the directory above winsup (yeah, it takes a while).  You'll have a
fully built cygwin also, in case you want to expand your participation
later ;-)

> Then all I'll have to do is submit a changelog and I saw something
> here recently on how to do that so that should be in the archives.

Here's the quick instructions:

Edit all the files, *except* ChangeLog.

Use "cvs diff -p2 > /tmp/foo" to generate the right diffs for us.

Create your mail message, with the patch (/tmp/foo above) included in
the body (don't attach it, it just makes it harder for me to process).

Create a ChangeLog entry and put it above the patch in your email.
Don't produce a diff for the ChangeLog; that file changes the most and
the odds that your patch will apply correctly are pretty slim.  We're
used to pasting in ChangeLog entries manually.

If you want to edit ChangeLog as you go (emacs users would prefer this
if you're used to the changelog-mode bindings), just cut that part out
of the diff and remove the diff decorations from it to make it a
plain-text entry, or cut-n-paste from your ChangeLog file to the mail
message.

Follow the examples in the other ChangeLog entries, and see
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/GNU/standards_32.html

Include "[patch]" in your subject, like this example:

	Subject: [patch] desktop.cc fix for icons

Make sure your mailer will NOT wrap columns or convert tabs to spaces.
If it will, *then* send the files as file attachments.

Send the mail to cygwin-patches@sources.redhat.com