Re: Where to find libintl?

Hi!

Friday, 25 August, 2000 Andrej Borsenkow Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru wrote:

>> AB> The reason is, new dumper utility needs it. It is very unfortunate, as up to
>> AB> now Cygwin did not depend on other packages, and you could compile it
>> AB> "standalone". Yes, I know, compiling off CVS is always risky ...
>>
>> I believe libintl is pretty stable these days. Last change in it dated
>> 1997-09-06,  so  you  can safely pull it from cvs. Moreover, cygwin do
>> depend on other packages -- newlib, libiberty
>>

AB> More precisely - when I check out module `winsup', I get *everything* that is
AB> needed to build cygwin (including newlib and libiberty). When I said "Cygwin"
AB> I actually meant "module winsup" :-)

well,   this  means  that  someone with write access to sourceware cvs
should add bfd and intl to module winsup. Chris?

>> AB> BTW dumper needs libbfd - is it modified library? Then it would need binutils
>> AB> ... and that means another several MB just to compile a single  program. SIgh
>>
>> i'm  using  bfd  from current cvs, and it works fine for me. i haven't
>> build other binutils (objcopy, strip, ld) with it, though.

AB> Which means, probably, your patched version.

no,  my  patches  to bfd had been checked in some time ago. they're in
main sources since 2000-01-10

AB> Again, this introduces yet another dependency from winsup to another module.

>> what  if i change utils/Makefile.in to make it skip building of dumper
>> if it's prerequisites haven't been satisfied?
AB> Hmm ... IMHO this utility actually belongs more to binutils and not to core
AB> Cygwin. But as a temporary workaround - yes, please :-)

hmm.  i think it's  too  platform-dependent  to  be included in binutils. it's
closer to strace, than to ld