cvs 1.10.8 built w/cygwin 1.1.4

I downloaded the 1.10.8 sources from cvshome.org and just did a
./configure
make

The resulting cvs binary gives me this error message when I used it:

  cvs update: error reading current directory: Function not implemented

but everything seems OK.  Btw, I installed cygwin with textmode as the
default, and all my packages are up-to-date as of today.

I tried to download

   ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/private/cygwin-extras-392/

as referenced in

but the file doesn't seem to exist (once I was able to login).

In any case, my question is, is this a known problem?  Is there a fix?

- Kevin Layer