linux bash compatibility

Hello and greetings to the list:

I am trying to find a cross-platform script that will rename file extensions
for me. So far I have had some help finding a script that will work in the
Linux bash environment, but it won't under the win98/cygwin bash shell...?
What it does under win98/cygwin is rename the first file that matches the
pattern and changes its' from "filename.htm" to "$.bar".

Can anyone help me find a way to implement this script so that it will work
under cygwin / win98?

Here is the contents of the script I am currently working with:

for i in `ls -1 *.htm | cut -d. -f1`;
 do mv $i.htm $.bar;
done

I guess to put it another way: "How come this works under Linux and not win98?"

Many thanks in advance,

Steven