Re: [Re: OpenSSH2.1.1p4 - NT to NT: Problem]

Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@cygnus.com> wrote:
> norbert.bladt@usa.net wrote:

[...]
>> I did some debugging and now I know why RhostsAuthentication
>> (and RhostsRSAAuthentication) does not work between two
>> NT systems over here.
>> Regardless of the setting in the configuration file
>> (sshd_config) the server is disabling both authentication methods
>> as soon as the client does not connect from a priviledged port.
>> On UNIX, ssh runs as root via "set userid" and that's why there
>> is no problem from, e.g. Linux or Reliant-UNIX to NT.
>>
>> However, how to achieve this between NT systems ?
>> Has anybody gotten this to work ?
>> I tried running the ssh client as Administrator but that
>> didn't change anything on the server side.

> A temporary solution, please give some feedback to the list:
>
> _IF_ you're using ntsec, please try the following:
Yes, we are using it.

>  Change your /etc/passwd file on the client box so that the
>  administrator (or your favorite admins member name) has uid 0.
>  This should allow that admin to use a privileged port when
>  starting ssh.
Works ad advertised, i.e. after changing the uid of the
administrator on the client side to 0 it works.
Because that was the only change in /etc/passwd I did,
the user on the server side is reported as "everyone" because
this user is first in the /etc/passwd on the client side and
has the uid 0 - as created by mkpasswd.

Thanks for this "solution".
I thought about the other "fix" you mentioned in your
previous E-Mail. But this seems to be a better way of doing
it, because we don't have to maintain another derivative of
a derivative of a derivative of the original OpenBSD sources ;-)

Will this work for other users with uid 0, too ?
I don't think so, but you know a lot more about NT
security than me.

Thanks, again.

Norbert.