Re: inetd autostart

Jonas Jensen wrote:

> I'm using inetd for telnet (all other daemons are off), and it works with no
> problems.
> However, when I set the startup type of the inetd service to Automatic, all kinds
> of weird things happen.
>
> First of all, it doesn't work. I get Connection Refused when telnetting to it.
> Using the service manager to stop and restart the service does not help. To start
> it properly, I have to start Cygwin/bash and type 'net start inetd' (after
> stopping it first).
> Also, when I start bash without stopping the service first, nothing works because
> it creates a user/textmode mount for / at D:\, so it can't find anything... my
> real / is system/binmode at D:\Cygwin. When stopping the service, the wrong /
> mount goes away.
>
> Using Win2k, Cygwin 1.1.3, latest version of everything included in setup.
>
> Any ideas?

Weird.

I'm starting inetd automatically as well. No problem at all. My root dir
is system/binmode as yours and I'm using the same configuration, W2K and
Cygwin 1.1.3 (oh well, sort of).

AFAIK, 1.1.3 doesn't add a root dir entry to the mount table anymore if
it's missing.

Just a guess: Either your service starts a wrong DLL or you have a root
mount created by an older version of Cygwin in the registry hive for the
user defaults.

So I suggest the following:
- Search for another cygwin1.dll on your system. Erase it.
- Check your registry. If you find a registry key
  HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Software/Cygnus Solutions erase it, too.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com