Re: Upgrading from b20.1 to 1.1.x - now my static linking fails !

No no no. Download and install 'binutils-20000722-1.tar.gz' from
cygwin/latest/binutils. Setup would have done this for you. It seems you
are trying to outsmart the installation program, and have ended up
shooting yourself in the foot.

(There was a 6/00 release of binutils -- binutils-20000625 -- but it had
problems. That's why there is now a -20000722 release).

--Chuck