Re: User with ID 544.

Jens Yllman wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  When I install cygwin and do ls -l on the /bin all the files have owner
> 544. And that user is not in passwd with id 544. And files created in
> winnt seem to get this owner in cygwin. What is that for kind of user.
> There don't seem to be any way in cygwin to set the owner to the user
> with id 544.

It's the local group `administrators'. This is a NT feature(?).
Each file created by a member of the admins group isn't owned
by the user but by the group.

>  What I also would like to know is how should I compile and install
> programs like wget/cvs if I would like them to be installed with the
> same owner as the rest of the files. Owner with id 544. I don't like the
> files to be me as owner. Even if everybody have access to them. Like
> them to be the same as the rest of the 'system' files.

Create an entry in /etc/passwd containing the local admins group, eg:

administrators::544:513:,S-1-5-32-544:/home/admin:/bin/false

on an English version of NT. You should use your localized
administrators group name, obviously.

Then you are able to chown to that `user'.

For more information about NT security I suggest reading the
NTSEC chapter in the online documentation.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com