GDB can't be interrupted! Please help.

I have tried everything I can think of to solve my GDB problems.
I am running mostly on WinNT where GDB works fairly well.
However I want to get my software working on Win98 as well,
but gdb does not seem to act properly there.

I need to know how to interrupt the child process and stop the
debugger when running in non-window mode. In window mode, I type
a ctl-C in the program output window. In non-window mode there is
no separate window for program output, and typing control C just
ends the program ("Program exited with code ..."). This problem
also happens on WinNT, but at least I can work around this
by setting a breakpoint on my own signal handler function.

On Win98 in non-window GDB this does not work. Instead of handling my signal,
I get "Program exited with code 037777777777." I cannot get
window mode (Insight) working properly at all under Win98.

Is there something I am missing? A gdb setting? CYGWIN environment
variable?

My version of Cygwin is from a CD dated 1999/09/14. This CD contains
gdb 4.18, but I have also tried gdb 5.0 with no improvement.

Any help would be appreciated. You guys must be debugging without
window mode sometimes, and one of the most basic things a debugger
should do is allow you to interrupt and get a traceback in an
endless loop. I cannot get the non-window debugger to do this
on Win98 or WinNT, and my signal handler workaround does not
work on Win98!

Cheers,
Max
--