Re: Getting back deleted files

Cautious UNIX folk often alias rm to rm -i, so that rm always asks you
"if you're sure you want to do that." You must remember that other
folks -don't- want the behaviour you've described. The nice thing about
the UNIX environment is that you can customize things the way you'd
like them. So add

alias rm="rm -i"

to your .bashrc file.

I think Ben Lawrence wrote:
> > --- Ben Lawrence <Ben.Lawrence@cmr.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I have accidently used the rm *.* command in cygwin1.1.0 on NT.
> > > Is there any chance of getting back my work?
> > > thanks,
> > > Ben
> > >

> Hello again,
> I think it would be a real neat idea to modify the rm.exe so that
> rm file.xxx
> utility is actually
> mv file.xxx c:/cygwin/tmp
>
> Also, whenever rm is invoked it would check the current date and the date of all
> the files in the c:/cygwin/tmp directory.  If all the files have yesterday's date
> or earlier, it would delete that whole c:/cygwin/tmp directory.  That way, any
> deleted files would be saved for at least a day.
> regards,
> Ben Lawrence
> Centre for Magnetic Resonance
> University of Queensland
> Australia
>

> --

Ernest Friedman-Hill
Distributed Systems Research        Phone: (925) 294-2154
Org. 8920, MS 9012                  ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
PO Box 969                  http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
Livermore, CA 94550