Here is how I have mine setup:

[Cygwin.bat]
@ECHO OFF
SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
SET CYGWIN=tty
SET TERM=ansi
SET HOME=/usr/fred
set PWD=/
SET PATH=d:\cygwin\bin;d:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%
bash

[.bashrc]
HOME=/usr/fred; export HOME
TERM=ansi; export TERM
LD=ld; export LD
BISONLIB=c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/share/; export BISONLIB
/usr/local/games/fortune
cd /
cd source
cd emu
PS1='\w >'; export PS1HOME=/usr/fred; export HOME
alias quit=exit

Make sure the .bashrc is in the HOME directory.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Matt Minnis

At 11:13 AM 7/18/2000 -0700, Randall Parker wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:16:49 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
> >I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by
> >looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for
> >information concerning the configuration of bash.
>
>Larry,
>I've looked at those pages. I also have the O'Reilly book Learning The
>Bash Shell. I've read the relevant
>passages there too. I spent many hours pounding on these problems before
>posting here. I also have various
>Unix and Linux books that I looked in too.
>
> >As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
> >would be /etc.
>
>Except when it doesn't work.
>
> >  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /,
> >look at the output of the mount command.  It will tell you.
>
>Well, since mount reports this for device and directory:
>    j:\prg\cygwin       /
>  that leads me to believe that
>    j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
>  ought to be what works for me.
>
>However, I've put stuff in the profile file in that path and it didn't
>have any effect. Copied that file to be .bashrc
>file in my HOME directory and that same alias statement then worked in
>.bashrc.
>
>Can one not do an alias statement in profile?
>

>--

Cthulhu for President. Why settle for a lesser evil?

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475		       mminnis@prefres.com
St. Louis, MO
63141