Re: Where to put profile files?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:16:49 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

>I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by
>looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for
>information concerning the configuration of bash.

Larry,

I've looked at those pages. I also have the O'Reilly book Learning The Bash Shell. I've read the relevant
passages there too. I spent many hours pounding on these problems before posting here. I also have various
Unix and Linux books that I looked in too.

>As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
>would be /etc.

Except when it doesn't work.

>  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /,
>look at the output of the mount command.  It will tell you.

Well, since mount reports this for device and directory:
   j:\prg\cygwin       /
 that leads me to believe that
   j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
 ought to be what works for me.

However, I've put stuff in the profile file in that path and it didn't have any effect. Copied that file to be .bashrc
file in my HOME directory and that same alias statement then worked in .bashrc.

Can one not do an alias statement in profile?