Re: Using mixed case filenames

On Wednesday 5 Jul 00, Charles Wilson writes:
> The mixed option existed briefly in a custom version of cygwin1.dll.
> Sergey Okhapkin had developed a patch for that, and his 'coolview'
> version of the B20.1 cygwin1.dll was distributed on his web page. It was
> not official, nor was it supported by Cygnus.
>
> The mixed option doesn't exist in the more recent cygwin's. If you would
> like to 'roll your own', you could get Sergey's patch, update it to
> apply to the 1.1.x cygwin source code, and build your own dll. However,
> I don't think that option will be supported by the mainstream kernel,
> since it leads to a lot of undesirable behavior on Windows.

There is already an entry in the FAQ, "Are mixed-case filenames
possible with Cygwin?"  I'll remove the disclaimer about it not being
updated for the current release, but it doesn't currently say anything
about Sergey's coolview patch.  Would it be wise to explain this in
the FAQ?

Thanks,
David (Cygwin FAQ maintainer)