Re: Cygwin and Bash

Dear Kimberly,

     Cygwin 1.1.2, as I understand it, is composed of a library (cygwin1.dll),
a .bat file (cygwin.bat), and some other stuff.  Double clicking (opening) the
Cygwin icon executes cygwin.bat (which is usually located in /bin).

     cygwin.bat is pretty simple.  It simply defines "MAKE_MODE", "PATH", and
then executes bash.

     My version of bash, which gives

GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i586-pc-cygwin32)

window.  It might also (or ?instead) execute $HOME/.bashrc if HOME is defined,
but I am not sure about this.

     I think my version of bash is different from that released by cygwin, but
not significantly so.

     You can, if you wish, start cygwin with your own specialized .bat file.
Simply have "bash" as the last line.  I, for example, don't set PATH in my .bat
file, but instead set it in my /.bashrc file.

     I hope this is helpful in getting you started.

           --Mark Schoenberg