Re: Tar.exe doing nothing

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 02:12:33AM +0200, Jonas Jensen wrote:
>Well, silly me :-)
>
>Now, 2 more questions about that:
>
>-What the hell is the purpuse of that feature?

Tar used to be commonly used with a tape device.  If you don't use the
-f option it defaults to an arbitrary device for extraction.  I assume
that cygwin defaults to standard input.

In case it isn't obvious to you, the Cygwin project did not invent the
tar program.  This tar behavior is far from new.  The tar program has
been a standard part of UNIX for a long long time.  Cygwin is a UNIX
emulation environment, so...

>-Is there an easy program to unzip the contents of a .tar.gz file
>without first using gzip.exe and then tar.exe?  Or a good way to set up
>an alias/script to do this?

I sounds like you still aren't reading the "tar --help" output very
closely.

The '-z' option automatically uncompresses an archive before extraction
or creation:

tar -xzf somefile.tar.gz

cgf