Re: Looking for a gooood port of VI for cygwin...

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:
> > ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/1.0/
>
>         How about VIM?  <www.vim.org>
>
>         It's now my preferred flavor of vi on both Unix (*BSD and Linux)
> and on Windows.  Their site includes Windows binaries.  It supports color
> syntax highlighting, multiple windows, multiple undo/redo, and works with
> cscope as a few of it's optional enhancements.

Which all is supported on both, Windows _and_ U*X (as far as color is
supported by the terminal/terminal emu).

The Windows port on their site is plain Win32. No Cygwin support. This
is only supported by Cygwin ports like the above on ftp.franken.de.

>         Other than the multiple redo/undo, I'm unaware of any significant
> differences between pure vi and vim.
>
>         Pure vi uses 'u' to undo and 'u' again to redo for a single level
> undo.  VIM uses 'u' to undo and '^r' to redo and you can undo and redo
> multiple levels.

For purists:

	:set compatible

Corinna