Re: Cygwin version confusion

On Thu, 29 Jun 00 15:39:45 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm a little confused regarding the versions of Cygwin and pieces that come
>with the various products/downloads. I originally installed GNUPro Toolkit
>for NT Version 99r1p1.
>
>bash --help -> GNU bash, version 2.02.1(2)-release-(i686-pc-cygwin32)
>uname -r ->    21.0 (0.9/1/2)
>
>I found this installation lacked several utilities (like man.exe) so I
>downloaded and installed (in another directory tree) the latest Cygwin
>setup.exe along with several packages I was interested in (fileutils, groff,
>etc.).
>
>bash --help -> GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release-(i586-pc-cygwin)
>uname -r    -> 1.1.2(0.21/3/2)
>
>The latest version shows that I'm running a later version of both bash and
>Cygwin. The i586-pc-cygwin bothers me a little. I'm on a PIII machine. I
>don't recall setup allowing me to indicate what type of machine I'm running.
>Did I miss something?

No, this information does not come from your system, this information
describes the system on which bash was compiled (It is burned into the
bash-executeable)

Perhaps bash should be repackaged with i686-pc-cygwin to be in sync
with all the other packages which are normally configured with
i686-pc-cygwin.

Michael Ring