RE: Why does cygwin 1.1.2 hide /usr/bin?

As Earnie Boyd states, this is most likely because your unzip program
doesn't understand cygwin mount points. You could either:

  1) go with the file hierarchy currently set up by cygwin's setup
program, or

  2) go for an "identity" mount strategy that won't confuse non-cygwin
applications

There's a discussion about the mounting strategy starting at about this
message
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2000-02/msg00132.html
(on the cygwin-developers list).

I prefer to use identity mounts,

Device              Directory           Type         Flags
I:                  /                   system       binmode
C:                  /c                  system       binmode
D:                  /d                  system       binmode

and I install cygwin distribution tarballs by untar'ing myself. Works OK
for
me.

kind regards
Peter Ring