Re: cygwin 1.1.2 - slow execution of each command

Earnie Boyd wrote:

>> Is there a way to profile a cygwin program including the time spent
inside
>> cygwin inself to determine why command execution takes between .70 and
1.5
>> seconds for something like /usr/bin/echo, etc.?
>>

>Good question, don't know the answer to this.  My observations have led me
>the fact that the Virus Scanner is getting in the way.  This is especially
true
>after the updates to the virus db following the infamous "I LOVE YOU" vbs
>virus.

>You might want to look at an strace to see what happens with /usr/bin/echo
>within the Cygwin API's.  Do `strace -o ./echo.strace /usr/bin/echo' then
less
>echo.strace to page through the file.

It's my understanding that the slowness we all seem to be seeing is due to
Corrina's recent NT security work somehow, and that she's already got a fix
checked in that will be in the next snapshot (that I was *sooo* hoping would
be out today ;-)).  As far as I can tell, Cygwin is hitting the network
constantly and heavily during the execution of pretty much any command, I
assume to verify that I'm really who I say I am or something.

I'm on a 2000 workstation on a network; are you non-networked 9x'ers seeing
similar slowness?

Gary R. Van Sickle <tiberius@braemarinc.com>
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.