System is sluggish when using cygwin...

Title: System is sluggish when using cygwin...

I've been using the b20 version on my machine at home (Win98) for about
a year now.  Generally everything was working just fine, but sometime in
the last month (or two) I started noticing that the whole system would
"slow" down and become sluggish whenever I was compiling.  For example,
after starting a make in an rxvt window, the mouse would then be very
slow to respond.

Thinking that upgrading to the latest version might help, I installed
the 1.1.2 version last week.  However, I still see the same behavior
with the new version.  Last night I noticed that the system clock also
seems to be running slow, but I haven't verified that this behavior
is related to cygwin.

I know that I should probably include some "cygcheck" output and
probably some other info (that I just can't think of at the moment),
but I'm posting this from work...

If you need or want to see additional info, just let me know and I'll
post it as soon as I get home...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

--Mark