Re: cygwin 1.1.2: undefined reference to `setlinebuf'

--- Adam Schlegel <aceschle@thinkage.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > *IMPERITIVE* /usr/bin must be *first* in the list for PATH.
> >
> This may be a stupid question, but why does /usr/bin have to be *first*?

Because, if any of us nice netizens are going to help debug a problem, we must
know that you have something standard to help debug.

> Is it not sufficient to have it somewhere near the front of your path, so
> that there is the possibility that certain programs can override the
> default ones.

Yes, but don't expect adequate help from this list.

> For example, I like to maintain a ~/bin directory at the
> start of my path so that I can easily stress-test programs that I am
> building, without adding them to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

So, why can't you just add it to the end of PATH.  If your testing something
you're replacing I understand that you want the that bin first but how often do
you do that?

> Does this break something that I haven't noticed yet?

Most likely.  It was the cause of another problem I justed moving /usr/bin to
the front of the path on and I didn't think that it could have been the
problem.  The reported fix was the moving of /usr/bin to the first item in the
list.

> Or is it just a bad habit that I should break as soon as possible?

Yes, break the bad habit.

Cheers,

=====
---