Re: New sed in latest

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 08:11:41PM +0200, Pierre.Humblet@eurecom.fr wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:48:39 -0400, Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>>You have my guarantee that when the cygwin mailing list is filled with
>>the plaintive cries of people who are trying to process their binary
>><snip>
>
>The current plaintive voices are about a textmode processing bug in the
>dll.  Masking that bug by making applications like sed ignore \r even
>on binary mounted systems is only a reasonable TEMPORARY (band aid)
>measure.  Until now users mounting binary file systems had the
>assurance that the tools would behave as on Unix.  That was great, I
>hope it will come back.  Otherwise do you plan to keep on "fixing" more
>applications?  awk (for one) is also "broken" by \r\n :
>
>bash-2.04$ awk 'NF > 1' /u/hello.txt bash-2.04$ mount -b -f u:/ /u
>bash-2.04$ awk 'NF > 1' /u/hello.txt hello bash-2.04$
>
>(hello.txt contains "hello \r\n")

Yes.  I plan on fixing more applications.  In fact, awk is next on my list.

This change was only partially motivated by the recent broken DLL.  We
have always had many many many complaints about "sed not working".  The
1.1.1 DLL just aggravates the potential problems with binmode versus
textmode processing.  The problem won't go away when the DLL is fixed.

You may have noticed that we've recently made similar modifications to
ash and bash.  I also expect that we will be making modifications to
applications like 'od' which do not set binmode appropriately.

Of course, the wonderful thing about all of this is that this is free
software.  You don't have to use it.  Anyone can build their own version
of sed which, theoretically, is able to process a binary file.  It's not
that hard at all.

cgf