rcs ci fails under cygwin; ci foo hangs leaving a lock file RCS/fo_

I have a binary of the 5.7 version of RCS files

> ls -l ci
-rwxr-xr-x   1 administ Administ    14848 Mar 28  1999 ci*

I have been using this successfully in a DOS box for months.
But when I run it under cygwin  ci foo hangs (for every file foo I have
tried).
It creates a lock file named RCS/fo_
but never gets any further.  What is the problem?
rcsdiff and co work fine in cygwin, so I suspect the problem is that some
file is not writable.

Here is a tiny test case:
540/temp> ci foo
RCS/foo  <--  foo
                                                   -- I must manually break
out here
541/temp> ls -l RCS
total 16
drwxrwxrwx   2 administ Administ        0 Jun  1 11:17 ./
drwxrwxrwx   6 administ Administ    32768 Jun  1 11:17 ../
-r--r--r--   1 administ Administ        0 Jun  1 11:17 fo_

When I am in emacs a checkin works correctly,
but I am not sure that ci program is being run, or if emacs is doing this
itself.

I must rm -f RCS/fo_ before I can check in the file from DOS or emacs, so I
assume that
it is the lock file.

I am not sure how to learn what version of cygwin I am running.
I downloaded it via setup.exe 2 days ago.
> bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(10)-release (i586-pc-cygwin32)

Thanks,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin          steve.tolkin@fmr.com      617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. R24D    Boston MA 02109