Re: CygUtils Version of zip (and Symlinks)

> > > The files produced have the HostOS value equal to 11 (WinNT filesystem),
> > > not 3 (Unix), and the NTSD descriptors are also stored in the zip archive,
> > > along with the universal time (as in the Unix versions).
>
> This sounded like a good thing (especially with the ntsec stuff which
> uses NTSD descriptors) so the current versions (zip-2.3, unzip-5.41) on
> CygUtils are built using win32/makefile.gcc.
>
> I did not look too closely at the code; perhaps the symlink handling
> stuff that is there for Unix platforms, gets #ifdef'd out in this
> configuration? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to locate that section
> and #ifdef it back in for __CYGWIN__.

Hmmm...I've been thinking. I'm not sure you *want* to store NTSD
descriptors in a zip file. Suppose I have SID 1-3661234856-525, and zip
up my files, and give the zip to you. Then, you unzip the file but there
is no user #525 on your machine. What happens?

When you get right down to it, cygwin is NOT windows. It does everything
it can to make windows look like Unix, so that apps can run *as if they
were on unix* with little or no changes. So, by that logic,
cygwin-zip/unzip =should= be built as unix-ish apps, not windows-ish
ones.

Comments?

--Chuck

p.s. cosmin: I don't know if you're subscribed to the cygwin list; for
the context of this email, see the discussion thread:
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/threads.html#00782