Re: CygUtils Version of zip (and Symlinks)

About CygUtils' zip/unzip distribution:

The zip/unzip distro at CygUtils in the V1.1 tree was recently updated
(Apr 21, 2000). Before, I had zip-2.2 and unzip-5.32, built as unix
apps, but with locally maintained, cygwin specific patches. Cosmin Truta
told me that recent versions of those packages included cygwin support,
but that Cygwin was regarded as a Windows platform:

[Cosmin Truta wrote:]
> > Therefore, the compilation is
> >
> > make -f win32/makefile.gcc
> >
> > for both Cygwin and Mingw32.
> > The files produced have the HostOS value equal to 11 (WinNT filesystem),
> > not 3 (Unix), and the NTSD descriptors are also stored in the zip archive,
> > along with the universal time (as in the Unix versions).

This sounded like a good thing (especially with the ntsec stuff which
uses NTSD descriptors) so the current versions (zip-2.3, unzip-5.41) on
CygUtils are built using win32/makefile.gcc.

I did not look too closely at the code; perhaps the symlink handling
stuff that is there for Unix platforms, gets #ifdef'd out in this
configuration? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to locate that section
and #ifdef it back in for __CYGWIN__.

I've been waiting for *my* chance to say this:

Patches gratefully accepted. :-)

--Chuck