Re: setup + mingwc10.dll + windows 98 = crash!!

>Chris Faylor <cgf at cygnus dot com> wrote:
>>I've been having serious problems tyring to install the
>>latest cygwin-1.1.1, specifically it seems with mingwc10.dll;
>>mingwc10.dll hangs my windows 98 (first edition) system,
>>every time I:
>>- run setup (it hangs processing cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz)
>>- copy the file in windows explorer
>>- right click in windows explorer and select properties
>
>I don't see any program that is run by setup.exe that uses
>this DLL.
>
>Basically, you are mentioning "mingwc10.dll" but I don't
>understand why.

mingwc10.dll is in cygwin.1.1.1.tar.gz, which setup installs.

To reiterate a bit more clearly, setup hangs my machine every
time it gets to cygwin.1.1.tar.gz, specifically (I am 99% certain)
when it gets to mingwc10.dll in that file.  Apparently setup.exe
tries to copy this DLL to /bin, and any copying or other reading
of that file from disk simply hangs windows 98, which I have
verified by hand any number of times under different circumstances.

In fact, I deleted the DLL from my /bin and everywhere else,
other than inside cygwin.1.1.1.tar.gz (except perhaps my recycle
bin, I haven't tried that...) and rebooted my machine without it.
Immediately thereafter, extracting the DLL and copying it to /bin
instantly hangs my machine.   This DLL is cursed.

>>I was doing these things IMMEDIATELY after booting up (easy since
>>it kept hanging my machine), over and over again, and yes, I was
>>running setup from a DOS window.  I'm 99.9% certain I have had no
>>cygwin processes running at all...
>>
>>(I even deleted mingcw10.dll from /bin, and I think I've tried
>>copying the new file in thereafter, including after eventually
>>rebooting, though I'll try that again to be sure).
>
>How about deleting it completely and not reinstalling it?
>Nothing in the setup process uses it and no cygwin program
>requires it.

Ok, I didn't know that.

Are you suggesting then that I delete it from cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz?
If I can assume setup will not barf if I modify the tar files
(I know nothing about the program or what checks it does),
I suppose I could try to unzip the file, tar --delete mingwc10.dll,
and rezip it.  Is that your suggestion?

>>As for why minwc10.dll is at fault, it seems any interaction with it
>>crashes my system if it involves READING the file from disk, or any
>>copy of it.  It seems to have mysterious powers.  Something as minor as
>>right clicking on it in windows explorer, and selecting
>>"properties", hangs my machine.  Or copying it.  Deleting it is
>>not a problem though.

I'm beginning to suspect it interacts badly with McAfee virus scan.
That would explain why reading it in any way hangs my system.
I have the very latest McAfee virus update data files.

>The task manager will show you what is running.

It shows nothing for cygwin.  Everything there is familiar.

(However, I just learned that trojanscanner.com reports
SSH is running on my port 22 and WWW is running on port 80,
while I am running neither, so it's vagely possible there
could be a trojan on my system, but not likely.)