^M appended to filenames - can't build

Hi,

I'm trying to install GNU Regex 0.12 on windows so that I can build OpenLDAP for the Mingw32 target.  However, I can't actually build the required object file as ^M s are being appended to my files names.  For example, when ever the make commands attempts to do the following
configure: configure \
 autoconf

the output if I do a
make -d | less is
considering target file 'configure^M'.
File 'configure^M' does not exist.
etc etc

If I move autoconf on to the same line then it appends the ^M to autoconf isntead.   If I put an explicit space after the file name then it just looks for the file ^M.  I've tried editing the file with both emacs and vim and I'm totally out of ideas.

Is there something somewhere I can configure so that make does not pick these up?  (They're not visible in either emacs or vim)

Thanks
Aoife