Wierd patch problem + simple fix

This behavior seems to have cropped up only recently, but I don't know
*exactly* which of the myriad upgrades to my cygwin installation
triggered it.

patch gives a strange error:

$ patch -p1 < ../binutils-patch
patching file `ld/emultempl/pe.em'
patch: **** can't rename `E:\TEMP/po002169' to `ld/emultempl/pe.em' :
File exists

I thought it may have been related to the line-ending troubles of
cygwin-1.1.1, but after trying both the 5/19 snapshot and the 4/19
snapshot, neither fixed it. This did:

$ echo $TMP
E:\TEMP
$ export TMP=/tmp

and then patch works just fine.

So, here's two questions to ponder: why is patch now sensitive to the
$TMP variable, and why didn't cygwin1.dll translate the pre-existing
windows variable 'TMP' into /e/temp (since E: is mounted on /e)?

Which leads to the following:

$ export TMP=/e/TEMP
$ patch -p1 -R < ../binutils-patch
patching file `ld/emultempl/pe.em'
patch: **** can't rename `/e/TEMP/po002198' to `ld/emultempl/pe.em' :
File exists

Weird.

--Chuck

P.S. I've gotta stress that whatever the underlying cause of this
behavior, simply setting $TMP to /tmp, or unsetting it (e.g. 'export
TMP=') will work around the problem.