Re: GCC snapshots and mmap problem [Re: GDB hangs on Win2K]

Mumit Khan <khan@nanotech.wisc.EDU> writes:
> DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> writes:
> >
> > > There seems to be a problem in mmap I've trying to find for days
> > > now with no luck. Essentially, ./stage1/xgcc is hanging when
> > > garbage collecting (compiling fold-const.c), and the only solution
> > > for now is to configure with --with-gc=simple which works but
> > > really slows down compilation.
> >
> > Saw that myself, except mine crashed all the time instead of hanging.
> > It might be the new /dev/zero code, too.

Quick followup -- the bug is in list::erase in mmap.cc, which has an
obvious infinite loop (ditto for does map::erase). I'll provide a patch
after I do a bit of testing and a bit of hunting for other potential
problems. As an aside, for user code that does a lot of mmap/munmap,
it's also very inefficient, but that certainly can be remedied over
time.

Regards,
Mumit