"Won't stop..." was: Re: Disappearing keyboard echo

I sent the message below yesterday.    With some tinkering, I
found that I could cure the lack of keyboard echo at the console
by putting the environment variable "CYGWIN=tty" in cygwin.bat.

But:  after doing that, I was experiencing the incredibly long
delays before I got a bash prompt back.  Having seen this mentioned, I
searched the archives, and found the advice about "notty."
This seemed to work,  but then (as I recall),  I again
lost the keyboard echo.   Checking CYGWIN from within
bash, it echoed as "tty" instead of "notty."   Horrors.  Somehow,
I had let a "CYGWIN=tty"  lurk in my  .bashrc, in spite of (a) having
known I should set this in cygwin.bat for a long time now, and (b)
having pruned and remodeled my .bashrc in the process of setting it u
to work with either  1.1 or B20 (with the same  home  directory).

After eliminating  CYGWIN=tty from my .bashrc while leaving
CYGWIN set to notty in cygwin.bat,  things seem to be working
normally!

John Velman

John.Velman@hsc.com@sourceware.cygnus.com on 05/03/2000 05:53:50 PM

Sent by:  cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com