Re: Things you can do with Cygwin

> Actually, I think it's even a bit less restrictive than that.  I
> believe that you can sell an application that depends on CygWin,
> even as a closed-source proprietary program.

No, this is just plain wrong.  When you build an application with
cygwin, part of cygwin itself is statically linked into the
application.  The application is GPL at that point.

> saying that YOU can't distribute the GPL'd software that your
> closed-proprietary application depends on, but you can tell the user
> where to get it.

"Making it available" and "distributing it" are the same thing.
Putting a file up for ftp and letting a user copy it to their own
machine is no different than putting it on a floppy and letting the
user copy it off the floppy.  The only time it's not a distribution is
if the recipient broke into the user's machine and stole it against
the user's will.