Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...

--- Kendall Bennett <KendallB@scitechsoft.com> wrote:
> Ian Miller <ian@gingerspice.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I'm an idiot and didn't read the bit about the assignment
> > form. Sorry!
> >
> > http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/contrib.html
>
> So now ask yourself this question: Why does Cygnus require you to
> assign copyright to them and not the FSF?? So they can sell
> commercial licensed versions of all code contributed to the Cygwin
> core library.

The FSF is an entity that will supply a legal arm *if* you assign your
copyright to the FSF.  The GPL is a statement of rights for the use of a given
piece of software, it does not require the assignment of the copyright to the
FSF.  The FSF nor the GPL take away the right to earn money, charge fees or
create commercial licenses (if you retain your copyright).

Cygnus was and is in their legal rights to license Cygwin the way they did and
I'm thankful for the fact that I can share in this great work and contribute as
best I can.

Cheers,

=====
---