v1.0 Win98 execution synced to clock

I just downloaded and installed version 1.0. It has the same
problem I first noticed in beta 20.1, to wit: every program
execution seems to be tied to the clock. Observing the title
bar shows a new program name every second, e.g. SH, SED, SH,
gcc, gcc1, and so on. Occasionally one program will take more
than 1 second, but even then the next program will start on
the next 1 second boundary. It is like a metronome.

I suggest that this is a source of the various "slow compile"
and "slow execution" reports in the mailing list.

I did try shortening my PATH to the very minimum, with no
impact, and I have no network drives. I saw no other suggestions
in the mailing list archives, so this bug report was initiated.

Regards,

Mike

cygcheck.out